A month or so ago we bought a package of veal liver at our local grocery store telling ourselves that we going to cook them, but not really having any idea how. We’ve made veal kidneys before without relying on a recipe so we were convinced we could do the same with the beast’s liver, but when we got home we found ourselves bereft of inspiration, and we put them the freezer and they there stayed until recently when we realized that we must figure out something to do with them.
Inspiration is overrated, so we abandoned our search for it, opting instead for a simple breading and pan-frying approach. You’ll notice that this dish kind of resembles a veal milanese in appearance, and it does, just don’t pound the livers or they’ll split and become purple goo. Because of this resemblance, as I was making it I was thinking of the great breaded sweetbreads we ate at Prune, and at the same time, I imagined this dish would be the perfect kind of thing to have for lunch on a cold, foggy day after a brisk walk in the rolling hills of Piemonte, and washed down with a gentle nebbiolo. And that might be the case, but it was just as good with a cold beer after a miserable rainy day trawling around Manhattan in search of baby gifts.
Veal Liver “alla Milanese” with Garlicky Mushrooms
- 6oz veal liver, cleaned
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4oz plain flour
- 3 slices stale country bread, crumbed
- 3oz olive oil
- 1 large portobello mushroom
- 1-2 medium cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and rubbed
- salt and black pepper
- Put egg, flour and breadcrumbs into separate bowls
- Slice liver into thin rounds and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a saute pan to medium heat
- Chop mushroom roughly into chunks and saute with garlic until soft but still al dente.
- Sprinkle with thyme and remove to a warm plate.
- Dredge liver slices first in flour, then in egg, and finally in breadcrumbs before placing gently in pan
- Fry liver for 2 minutes each side or until coating is golden brown
- Drain briefly on paper towels before serving immediately with mushrooms
- Garnish with lemon slices and good balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!