I’ve been attempting to figure out how the hell to post this delicious but not super crazy concoction on the blog for a bit of time now, but finally the perfect event came my way and all is good. Fun and Food is hosting this months Monthly Mingle, an event started by What’s For Lunch Honey? and one I was not familiar with until recently. Not only did the event call for an appetizer recipe, but for a vegetarian appetizer recipe. SHA-WEET.
This appetizer was concocted by me because, well, I was freaking hungry and needed some crunch at that moment. I had leftover mango salsa that we had made for a previous meal and a green plantain that had to be used. I thought about those bags of plantain chips that are sold in the many bodegas here in NYC. They could be used in lieu of potato chips or anything else that could be used with dip. Why not make some tostones (fried green plantains) and use them as a cracker? So that’s what I did. I figure if I’m having more than a party for one (me), these could be a cheap and delicious alternative to the old boring chips and salsa.
FRIED GREEN PLANTAIN “CRACKERS” WITH MANGO SALSA
For Ingredients and Recipe for Fried Green Plantains, CLICK HERE:
Ingredients for Mango Salsa:
- 1 ripe mango, thinly diced
- 2 small red onion, thinly diced
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly diced
- 1 ripe tomato, thinly diced
- 1 serrano, jalapeno or any other type of hot pepper
- palmful of cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
- Mix all the ingredients for the salsa together and allow to marinate for at least a half hour.
- Make your tostones.
- If you are going to top your tostones with a bit of the salsa, only serve immediately after topping them – you don’t want to make them soggy! Otherwise, put tostones out for guests to dip into the salsa themselves.
Check out some other posts you may enjoy:
- Truffled Butter: A Prince Among Ideas
- Cabrales Cheese: Itâ€™s a Bit of an Animal
- The Wrong Message from a Former Prophet (Delia Smith Jumps Ship)
- FRIED LAMB RIB CHOPS WITH ROSEMARY-GARLIC REDUCED BALSAMIC
- ORECCHIETTE WITH SAUSAGE AND KALE
- BRAISED PORK CHOPS WITH LIME AND OLIVES