We’re going to make this one short and sweet — the Phillies, my beloved Philadelphia Phillies, just couldn’t do it this year. What was even worse was that they played the Yankees and I live in New York City in a new apartment building surrounded by Yankees fans. I just couldn’t face to finish watching the final game as the Phillies handed their World Championship title to the team with not only the richest ball players (who have won the World Series 26 times before) but also to a team filled with wanna-be celebrities (ahem, A-Rod – here doing what he does best, looking in a mirror and kissing himself and, ahem, Jeter) and actual celebrity “fans” and girlfriends (if I had to see stupid Kate Hudson, Jay Z or Rudy Giuliani one more freaking time…).
Even though I slept with ear plugs in the night the Yankees won, despite my disappointment, I fell into a deep slumber with a belly full of smoky, spicy Chipotle Wings. A few weeks ago, Challenge Butter convinced us to take on some samples of their unsalted butter and create an appetizer using their product along with some Spice Island and OXO products that they so generously gave us. It was a way for them to not only get the word out on their amazing product (unfortunately, it’s only available to buy in the Western part of the US) but also on a great sweepstakes they are running until December 31st, 2009 to win a 7-day trip to Montana.
So with sports on the brain and the cooler weather coming in, we dusted the wings with some of the Spice Island spices and baked them Alton Brown-style till they crisped up, then tossed them in a blend of my obsession, La Morena Chipotle Sauce, some Tabasco chipotle-flavored hot sauce and some melted Challenge Butter. Dipped in some fennel-seed spiked Ranch dressing and the worries of my team losing the big game began to fade away – even if it was only temporary.
- 12 chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon Spice Island fennel seed, ground in spice grinder
- 1 tablespoon Spice Island chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon Spice Island Beau Monde seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup melted, unsalted butter (like Challenge Butter)
- 1/4 cup La Morena Chipotle Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chipotle Hot Sauce (like Tabasco)
- Ranch Dressing and/or Blue Cheese Dressing (homemade or favorite bottled)
What to do:
- Mix the spices together along with a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Sprinkle on both sides of the wings.
- Follow Alton Brown’s directions for steaming and then baking the wings.
- Continue following his directions, but toss the chipotle sauce along with the Tabasco Hot Sauce and add to the melted butter. Finish by tossing the baked wings in this delicious mixture. Serve with some dipping sauce of ranch or blue cheese dressing and some celery. Also serve with copious amounts of beer.